Lenovo ThinkPad T420s is a rather old model of computer. You will see the notification telling you that it is “no longer available for purchase on lenovo.com” even if you want to purchase it now.
That being said, it is not easy for you to find solutions to its driver problems when they occur when you are a Windows 10 user. To save you countless time and energy, we will guide you through the whole process of getting the device drivers downloaded and updated with step-by-step and easy instructions, so, choose accordingly the right way for you!
1) Follow the path: Start button > Control Panel (View by Small icon) > Device Manager.
2) Click the Scan for hardware changes button on the top bar. This will allow Windows to help you scan for possible faulty device drivers.
3) If you see any device driver with certain mark next to it, such as a yellow exclamation mark, a question mark, etc., right click it and choose Update Driver Software….We are updating Base System Device, yours could be different.
If you don’t see a device driver with the unusual mark, and you just want to update certain device driver, that’s okay, just right click the device driver that you want to update and choose Update Driver Software….
4) Then choose Search automatically for updated driver software.
5) As we mentioned above, this model of computer is rather old, so there is a big chance that you are not getting the latest version of the device drivers in this way, and you will be very likely to see the following notification:
When you see this, it means that Windows currently cannot find you the latest version for your computer, and you might need to read along to get your device drivers downloaded and updated.
1) Go to the support website of Lenovo. Then in the middle part of the page, type the model type of your computer into the search box, or you can choose Detect my product option for the support website to detect your computer model.
2) Then you will be lead to a webpage where you can download the needed drivers for your operating system. Click the arrow icon as shown on the screen shot and then choose accordingly the OS that you are having now. You can choose Windows 8.1 (64-bit) or Windows 8.1 (32-bit) from the list of choice. Then select Drivers & Software option.
3) Scroll down a little bit, you will be seeing a list of device drivers, choose the ones that you need and click the down arrow icon on the right side to get them downloaded.
If you know what device drivers that you are looking for, you can straightly type the device name into the keyword search box and hit Enter to get the result you need.
4) Open Device Manager. Then locate the device that you want to update, right click it and choose Uninstall.
If prompted with the following notification, tick the box for Delete the driver software for this device, and then choose OK to continue.
5) Go to the folder where you store the downloaded device driver file, right click the setup file and choose Properties.
6) In the Properties window, go to Compatibility tab, then tick the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for: and then choose Windows 8 from the list of choice. Hit Apply and OK to save and continue.
7) Then double click the the set up file to run the install as instructed. Please remember to restart your computer when the install finishes, and make the change take effect.
If you are still unable to get the latest version of device drivers updated in this way, it is suggested that you try the method below to get your device drivers updated automatically.
If the above methods are too much for you, we have an alternative that is guaranteed to update your device drivers automatically without wasting you more time. We recommend Driver Easy, a program that helps you detect, download and update all missing and outdated device drivers to their latest version automatically without you worrying too much.
There are only two steps required in Driver Easy, step one, press the Scan Now button so it helps you scan for needed drivers. And step two, press the Update button to get the device drivers you need updated!
If you want to experience the ONE-click-update-all-driver feature, as well as driver backup and driver restore, plus the professional tech support team, why not take a look at this amazing professional version of Driver Easy? If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can always ask for a refund thirty days within the purchase. Guarantee!
What are you still waiting for, come on and have a try at Driver Easy now!
My name is PaRa Mu Dita, a web Master, web Developer and Adventurer. Doing work for last 2 years and Running A lot of Techno Sites.